‘Dales refuse to give Commercial any breaks

FYLINGDALES FC continued their impressive run of form with another victory on Sunday.

Commercial represented a step up in quality from the last week’s comprehensive win against Heslerton but despite a tough pitch at Oliver’s Mount, FFC put together a battling performance.

Commercial created the pressure in the first five minutes but as FFC grew used to a ground that does not suit their passing style, opportunities developed for the Robin Hood’s Bay side.

League top scorer and FFC goal machine Jake Faichney was the first to break the deadlock when he won the ball in midfield, sprinted past the Commercial defence and placed a left footed curler into the bottom corner.

The goal lifted FFC who hit the bar twice but it was Commercial who controversially got the second goal of the game.

The Scarborough side created what looked like a one-on-one when FFC’s speedy left back caught up and slid alongside the attacker, hooking the ball from under his feet and putting it out for a corner.

Much to the dismay of FFC, the referee gave a penalty to Commercial who then levelled the score 1-1.

A tough half-time team talk from boss Tommy Pearson proved a masterstroke as FFC took the game by the horns in the second half, giving less and less to Commercial thanks to a rock-like performance from man of the match Callum Hartley, protecting the defence from midfield.

FFC’s second came when a corner led to a loose ball landing at the feet of cultured defender Paul Watson who leathered the ball from the edge of the area into the top corner.

As FFC pressure continued, tempers started to flare.

Boss Tommy Pearson couldn’t hold back from the sidelines midway in the second half, showing the passion and emotion he expects from all his squad. After a number of warnings he was sent off by the referee who had had enough.

The sending off meant Pearson had to abandon his position by the pitch and was banished to sitting on the fence by the road for the remaining 20 minutes of the match.

Whether this was another masterstroke by the coach will never be known but the impact was quick as midfielder Chris Shardlow, received the ball after a beautiful move and slotted one home to make the score 3-1.

FFC hit the bar again and spurned another chance at the death but a well-fought game and a deserved win for FFC has taken the team to third in the league, three points off top spot.

On Sunday, FFC play West Pier at McCains, all supporters welcome.

Match ball sponsor: The Bare Wires at Live and Unsigned regional final.

Man of the match: Callum Bomber Harris Hartley

Commercial 1 FFC 3