Boss Hardy insists rebuild was necessary at Whitby Town

Whitby Town manager Chris Hardy insists the rebuilding process he has undertaken at the club was necessary to take them forward.

Thursday, 4th June 2020, 10:11 am
Updated Thursday, 4th June 2020, 10:12 am
Blues boss Chris Hardy

Hardy has overseen a big turnover of players at the Turnbull Ground this summer, with nine heading for the exit at the club and six signing for the Blues.

The Blues boss has also changed personnel in the dugout, with Nathan Haslam joining as first team coach and David McTiernan leaving to join Marske United.

Hardy is confident the changes made were necessary in order for his side to challenge for the NPL play-offs next season.

“We’ve done a lot of business, both in and out so far, and I think it was necessary for us to challenge going forward,” said the Blues boss.

“There were a couple of departures we didn’t necessarily want, but that happens in football and we all need to move on.

“There was something fundementally wrong last season, even though we had a good year and had a shot at pushing for the play-offs when the season was curtailed.

“When you operate with a small squad like we do, you can’t afford to have players on the injury table too much, and hopefully the changes we have made will make us more robust and consistent with availability.”

Hardy would like to add three or four further signings to his squad before he is content his business is done, adding he expects one of those players to sign this week.

“I’d say we need three or four more through the door,” added Hardy.

“I don’t see any more players leaving the club now, but who knows what could happen going forward.”

Hardy was also quick to send his best wishes to Kieran Weledji, who signed for east coast rivals Scarborough Athletic last week.

“That move won’t sit well with some,but not for me,” said Hardy.

“Kieza has been a great servant and while I didn’t want him to go, I wish him the best.”