Blues slump to Tigers defeat

Thibault Charmey hits the post during Whitby's midweek defeat to Hyde United. Picture: Brian Murfield
Thibault Charmey hits the post during Whitby's midweek defeat to Hyde United. Picture: Brian Murfield

Whitby Town remain mired in the EvoStik Premier Division’s relegation places after a 3-0 home defeat to Hyde United on Wednesday evening.

It was a case of familiar failings costing the Blues as chances were missed and lapses in concentration saw Hyde gifted goals out of nothing.

Town began on the front foot and after enjoying plenty of the ball, the first chance of the game fell to James Brown with seven minutes played.

The ex-Hartlepool striker was at full stretch to meet Mikey Roberts’ cross from the left at the back post, but visiting keeper Jindrich Stanek managed to turn his effort behind for a corner.

Ayrton Bevins forced a good block out of Shane Bland with Hyde’s first attack of note, before Thibault Charmey found space down the right and rolled a cross-shot narrowly wide of the far post.

Minutes later, Whitby almost took the lead following a fine counter-attack.

A superb first time pass from Ryan Brobbel inside his own half picked out Charmey – making his first competitive start for the club – and the Frenchman showed fabulous footwork to dance around two Hyde defenders.

Having done everything right to work the opening, and with just Stanek to beat, Charmey’s tame effort clipped the outside of the post on its way wide of the target.

It seemed like it was only a matter of time before a goal arrived, and this proved to be the case, but it came at the other end, despite Whitby looking to be in the ascendancy.

The ball broke kindly for Scott Spencer on the edge of the Blues box and he slipped it into the path of his strike partner Bevins, who slotted past an exposed Bland from 15 yards out in the 14th minute.

With Brobbel showing some nice touches, Whitby pressed for a way back into the game without creating any clear opportunities, while by contrast, Hyde were having plenty of joy in the hosts’ final third.

Ryan Ellison’s strike was deflected wide by Liam Shepherd after Town were carved open down the left flank, before a completely unmarked Sam Fitton fired wide from close to the penalty spot when he really should have scored.

Indeed the Blues were indebted to Lee Bullock for a series of timely interventions as the Tigers finished the opening half looking the more threatening of the sides.

Town’s habit of starting the second period looking half-asleep continued, and only a goalline clearance by Kieran Weledji denied Bevins a second goal in the 49th minute.

Whitby then began to string a few more passes together and kept Hyde, who had lost their previous four games, pinned in their own half for a 10-minute spell.

Substitute Lee Mason dragged an effort wide when well-placed just 10 yards out, before Brobbel’s cross from the left was almost turned into his own net by a Hyde defender.

Just as Whitby looked to be gathering a head of steam, Hyde grabbed a second goal out of absolutely nothing.

The Town defence stopped, waiting for an offside flag that never arrived, and Bevins ran through and finished confidently past Bland with 64 minutes gone.

Barely a minute later, Spencer was afforded too much space 20 yards from goal and curled a delightful effort past Bland and into the net via the post.

Whitby’s players looked shell-shocked after conceding two goals in as many minutes and never recovered, the remaining 25 minutes passing with little incident of any note.

Whitby Town: Bland, Martin (Mellor), Shepherd, Bullock, Weledji, McTiernan (C), Charmey (Mason), Gell, Roberts, Brown (McCarthy), Brobbel. Subs not used: Gardner, Robinson.

Whitby Town are running a supporters’ coach to Rushall Olympic. It departs the Turnbull Ground tomorrow (Saturday) at 8.30am, while a coach to Ramsbottom leaves Whitby at 2.30pm on Tuesday. Call 07966 241344 to book a place.