Blues hit three, but end up being beaten

WHITBY’S search for a home league win in 2011-12 continues as they put three past Worksop - but still lost, writes Andy Baxter.

Worksop who took a sixth minutes when a tame effort from 25 yards by Ash Burbeary skidded off the wet surface and beat diving Whitby keeper Courtney, who should have done better.

Whitby pushed forward in search of a reply but lots of their passing was wayward and they lacked threat near goal, with the Worksop defence easily being able to tidy up any moves around the area.

But Whitby did raise the home supporters when Ibby Hassan played a neat one-two with Dave McTiernan and just as he was about to unleash his shot at goal, he was thwarted by a superb block tackle from Luke Shiels.

Minutes later from the edge of the visitor’s box, Matty Tymon hit a shot inches over the bar and beaten shot-stopper, Jon Worsnop.

But the visitors looked more comfortable on the ball and were rewarded with their secod goal on 37 minutes following half a dozen passes which ended with the impressive Jamie Jackson stretching out for a shot low into the bottom right corner.

Whitby failed to re-group quickly enough and were further punished four minutes later when Steve Gardner picked up a pass at the edge of the area and calmly placed his effort past Courtney for a deserved 3-0 lead.

Whitby made an early second half substitution, taking off Lewis Hawkins and replacing him with Sam Hodgson, but it was Worksop who could have further capitalised on their lead on 55 minutes when the ever-dangerous Jamie Jackson slipped past Hassan and squared the ball towards 3 team-mates, only for Whitby’s captain, Mark Robinson to make a saving clearance.

Whitby were mostly on the back foot but with 62 minutes gone, they clawed a goal back when David McTiernan struck a shot home.

However, the visitors quickly regained their three-goal advantage when their man of the match, Jamie Jackson, turned inside his marker and drilled a low shot inside the near post for his second and Worksop’s fourth.

Worksop then made 3 fairly quick substitutions with Burbeary, McDonald and Sharry being replaced by Duncum, Davidson and Fox and Athough the visitors continued to look the better side, Whitby scored their second goal from a deep corner in the 79th minute, which found the unmarked McTiernan at the back of the area.

He drove his shot goalward, only to see it bounce off the post for Tymon to scramble home.

With five minutes left, Jackson again battled his way through and just as he was about to despatch the ball at goal, his effort was smothered at his feet by the outcoming Courtney.

The game ended surprisingly after what was nearly six minutes of time added on by the referee.

A deep cross from Callum Martin towards Kevin Burgess in the Worksop area, saw both Burgess and Worsnop fall to the ground.

After a small confrontation between the two players, the referee consulted his assistant and awarded Whitby a penalty, after booking Worsnop for pulling down on Burgess. Robinson converted the penalty although Worsnop pushed it in off a post.

In the end, the visitors took the spoils in a game that ended with a scoreline which somewhat flattered Whitby, who were less than impressive on the night.

Whitby Town manager Tommy Cassidy said: “We scored three goals at home and still ended up losing and that means there is something seriously wrong.

“The first half we were appalling and we seem to be giving goals away lately at the back for fun.

“You can’t win matches when we defend like we are doing and my team need to realise that the game is for 90 minutes, not 10 minute patches here and there.”

Whitby Town: Courtney, Leeson, White, I Hassan, Burgess, Hawkins (Hodgson 52), Martin, McTiernan, Tymon, C Hassan (Faichney 62), Robinson. Subs not used: Williams, Marron, D Campbell.

Attendance: 275.