Blues denied by Stamford fightback

Mikey Roberts opened the scoring in Whitby Town's 2-2 draw at Stamford
Mikey Roberts opened the scoring in Whitby Town's 2-2 draw at Stamford

Whitby Town threw away a two-goal lead as they were held to a 2-2 draw at Stamford, on Saturday.

Mikey Roberts and Matty Waters found the net to put the Blues 2-0 up after just 15 minutes, before Jake Newman pulled one back from the penalty spot.

Town stayed in front until the 76th-minute when home substitute Chris Bacon levelled things up, denying Whitby a win that would have seen them move out of the Evo-Stik Premier Division’s relegation zone.

Manager Chris Hardy admitted that he was disappointed not to have won the game, but said that he was able to take plenty of positives from his side’s display.

“This was a great opportunity to maximise our points return after taking an early two-goal lead, but it was of paramount importance that we avoided defeat and we certainly did this, and a lot more,” he told the Whitby Gazette.

“The positives I can take from the game were the fact we created a number of good goalscoring opportunities on the back of some free-flowing football, while the boys also showed a real steel and a determined attitude to ensure we got something from the fixture when there was a momentum shift in the later stages.

“So as much as there was an air of disappointment at the final whistle, we can look forward to Wednesday against Ashton United confident in the knowledge that we are four unbeaten going into this fixture.”

Wednesday’s clash with Ashton is a 7.45pm kick-off at the Turnbull Ground.

Hardy will be forced to shuffle his pack for the visit of the fourth-placed Robins with a number of players unavailable for selection.

Whitby will be without Richard Pell, Ryan Brobbel and Connor Gardner, while Waters is an injury doubt and Nathan McGinley has returned to Middlesbrough after his loan deal expired.

Gateshead loanee Jack Elliot is however set to return to the squad.