Blues demolish Kings Lynn

Whitby Town's Zak Boagey scored on his debut against Kings Lynn
Whitby Town's Zak Boagey scored on his debut against Kings Lynn

Whitby Town claimed a 4-0 win over Kings Lynn at the Turnbull Ground on Wednesday evening

Having picked up a point at Marine on Saturday, the Blues were in clinical form in midweek.

Darren Williams’ men netted four goals for the second time in as many home outings as they brushed aside the Norfolk outfit, following on from a 4-2 success over Nantwich in their last fixture at the Turnbull.

The hosts started the clash with Kings Lynn on the front foot. Lee Mason’s corner found the head of Lee Bullock, whose header was tipped onto the bar at full-stretch by visiting gloveman Alex Street.

The Linnets almost replied within two minutes. George Thomson slotted a through ball to Andrew Hall, but his 12-yard effort was saved smartly by Whitby stopper Shane Bland.

The Seasiders then broke the deadlock on 20 minutes.

Shane Henry started a passage of play inside Whitby’s half, laying the ball off to Mason who moved it wide to Graeme Armstrong.

Armstrong returned it to Henry on the edge of the area and the winger placed his effort low, under the advancing Street.

Whitby finished the first period strongly, going forward in numbers, but were unable to add to their lead.

Despite the Blues beginning the second half in a similar fashion, it was the visitors who thought that they’d got the all-important next goal 10 minutesafter the re-start.

Peter Bore worked an opening for David Bell to unleash an effort on goal, substitute Ewan Clarke getting a deft touch on the strike to send Bland the wrong way, only for an offside flag to cut short the away side’s celebrations.

Minutes later, the Blues doubled their advantage when Armstrong knocked a long ball down to Mason, who fired a powerful half-volley low past Street.

On 74 minutes, Whitby made it 3-0 when Ibby Hassan broke into the box, laying the ball off to Tom Portas, who picked out livewire striker Steve Snaith.

The young marksman curled the ball high into the net from close range.

The Blues finished the demolition job late on.

Armstrong saw his initial attempt fumbled by Street, before debutant Zak Boagey (pictured above) pounced on the rebound to fire home from close range to round off a fine win.

On Saturday, a bizarre deflected goal denied the Blues all three points from their trip to Marine.

The Seasiders had led through Graeme Armstrong’s 26th goal of the season, only for John Shaw to strike 15 minutes from time with an attempted cross that flew up and over Blues goalkeeper Shane Bland.

Player-manager Darren Williams said: “Sometimes when that happens you have to take it on the chin. It’s never going to happen again from that position.”