Blues claim crucial win at Bay

Whitby Town beat Colwyn Bay 4-1 to put some daylight between themselves and the Evo-Stik Premier Division relegation places.

Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 8:49 pm
Updated Tuesday, 12th April 2016, 8:52 pm
Mikey Roberts scored twice as Whitby Town won 4-1 at Colwyn Bay. Pictue: Brian Murfield

Tuesday evening’s emphatic victory in North Wales was just Town’s second league success on the road this season, but it moved them three points clear of the drop zone.

Second-bottom Bay needed to win the game to have any chance of survival themselves, but it was the visitors who made the better start to proceedings and went on to dominate the first period, forcing a total of 10 corners in the opening 45 minutes.

Big centre-half Richard Pell headed home from a 13th-minute corner to give the Blues a deserved lead.

Whitby remained on top and Mikey Roberts brought a good save out of home keeper Andy Farrimond before Anthony Hume missed the target when he was teed up by an underhit backpass from Antonie Boland.

Town were made to regret these misses when Carl Lamb got on the ened of a long ball over the top and finished confidently past Shane Bland to level the scores after 34 minutes.

The sides went into the break at 1-1 but it took Whitby just 12 minutes of the second period to re-claim their advantage.

The Bay defence failed to deal with a cross from the left wing and Roberts controlled the ball and took it past Farrimond before tucking away his 23rd goal of the campaign.

Four minutes later the hosts had a chance to equalise for a second time when Jack Kelleher was sent clean through on Bland’s goal, but the Town stopper got down and grabbed the ball as the striker attempted to skip around him.

Whitby looked comfortable at 2-1 but killed the game off with 10 minutes remaining, Roberts skinning Boland down the right before crossing for strike partner Hume to sidefoot home his first goal for the club.

Kieran Weledji got forward from defence and forced Farrimond into action again, before Roberts rounded things off with 87 minutes gone, outpacing the Bay defence and smashing in number four.

Full match report and reaction in Friday’s Gazette.