Blues boost promotion bid with win at Nantwich

A promotion-worthy performance ensured a 2-0 win at Nantwich Town for Whitby Town, as they returned to the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League play-off places.

Saturday, 25th March 2017, 4:08 pm
Updated Sunday, 26th March 2017, 10:36 am
Whitby Town report

Chris Hardy made a solitary change, with skipper Steven Snaith returning to the side, following suspension, to replace assistant manager Lee Bullock.

Hardy’s men got off to the perfect start too, breaking the deadlock after just 40 seconds.

Whitby broke forward from the outset, and found David Carson, whose weak shot sneaked into the back of the net, after an error from Dabbers goalkeeper Dan Gyollai.

The Seasiders looked confident and could have doubled their lead, just three minutes later.

Gyollai again found himself in trouble, with Roberts looking to capitalise, but the Blues front man couldn’t make the attempt in time, ensuring the Dabbers’ goalkeeper’s blushes were spared.

As the game progressed, it tightened up, though it was Whitby who continued to look more dangerous, and just past the hour mark, their lead was doubled.

Whitby hit their hosts on the break, with Anthony Bell playing Dale Hopson into the box, who finished right-footed, first time, into the top corner.

The hosts could have replied, just two minutes later.

A ball into the box was met by the head of Nantwich skipper Sam Hall, whose looping header was pushed over the bar by Bland, ensuring that Hardy’s men picked up all three points.

Nantwich Town: Gyollai, White, Touray, Stair, Jones, Hall (c), Johnston (Mwasile ’59), M. Bell, Peers (Mukendi ’57), Cooke, Hancock (Jones ’69). Subs not used: Riley, Brooke.

Whitby Town: Bland, Martin, McWilliams, May, Bythway, Snaith (c), Gell, Hopson, Roberts, Carson, A. Bell (Hume ’84). Subs not used: Fryatt, Robinson, Bullock, Dixon (GK).

Attendance: 481

Whitby Town MotM: Danny McWilliams – good all round display from the full-back, who looked dangerous when going forward