Blues beaten by Barwell

Whitby Town fell to their third league home defeat of the season after falling 2-1 at the hands of Barwell.

Saturday, 18th February 2017, 4:16 pm
Updated Wednesday, 1st March 2017, 8:18 am
Whitby Town 1-2 Barwell

Chris Hardy was forced into making a solitary change, with the outgoing David McTiernan being replaced by top goalscorer Dale Hopson.

The early exchanges of the game were tight, with Whitby shading it, but it was the visitors who had the best chance, on the half hour mark.

Luke Barlone was found in space, on the right-edge of the penalty box, but his shot across Shane Bland was palmed away strongly.

But it was the Seasiders who gained the initiative, just two minutes before the break.

Luke Bythway broke forward from the defence, playing into Carson before continuing his run. Carson held the ball up on the edge of the 18-yard box, before laying off to Tymon. The forward continued the move, setting up Bythway, who rifled the ball into the top corner, from twenty yards.

The second period opened the game up, with an erratic start for both sides, but it was the visitors who took advantage of it.

A Barwell corner paid dividends, despite Whitby going closest through Danny McWilliams, just four minutes after the interval.

The inswinging ball evaded the Blues’ defence, and fell to Callum Ball via a Barwell head, who controlled well and backheeled past Bland, from just six yards.

Hardy’s men could have led again, almost immediately.

Dale Hopson played a neat through ball to McWilliams, who drove into the box and attempted to fire across goal, but Liam Castle was equal to the attempt.

As the game progressed, the visitors grew in confidence and they led, with 17 minutes remaining.

Brady Hickey’s ball forward found goalscorer Ball, who held off his man and finished low, at the near post, leaving Bland rooted to the spot,

Whitby threw everything, including goalkeeper Shane Bland, forward to gain something, but it proved to be too little, too late, as they fell to defeat.