Blues beaten at Workington

Whitby Town's Adam Gell in action during the Blues' defeat at Workington on Tuesday evening. Pictures: Cumbrian Newspapers
Whitby Town's Adam Gell in action during the Blues' defeat at Workington on Tuesday evening. Pictures: Cumbrian Newspapers

Whitby Town’s away woes continued after a poor second half showing, in Cumbria, on Tuesday night.

Darren Williams’ men arrived at Workington just 25 minutes before kick-off but started the stronger.

The Blues gaffer made just one enforced change as James Brown replaced the unavailable Matty Waters up front, and it was Brown who forced Jonny Jamieson to save low to his left, inside five minutes, after a determined run and shot from the left flank.

Town moved the ball around brightly but still found themselves behind on ten minutes when ex-Blue Matty Tymon was able to force home, on the turn, from six yards, at the second attempt.

Lee Mason fired over from the left-edge of the box, before Blues were hit by a further blow as Ibby Hassan joined Town’s injured centre-half club as his groin went after intercepting a through-ball on the edge of his own box.

On-loan Bradford City defender Luca Mellor replaced him before the Seasiders deservedly levelled on 18 minutes. Callum Martin’s right-wing corner was drilled back across goal by Adam Gell and no-one picked up player-coach Lee Bullock at the back post, who slotted past Jamieson one-on-one.

Anthony Wright powered inches over from distance for the Reds, while Liam Shepherd raced forward from his centre-back role, exchanging passes then slamming across the face of goal from the left-edge of the home penalty area.

Joe McGee’s drilled drive was clutched low to his right by Shane Bland, then Tymon’s snapshot flew well wide.

Five minutes before the break, Town nearly grabbed the lead when Mikey Roberts swung over a free-kick from the left flank and Brown nodded over at the near post.

The hosts came out a more determined side in the second half, no doubt following an angry dressing down from an angry management team who raged throughout the first period.

James Earl and McGee were well off target with early efforts from distance but Earl then brought a fine stop with his legs from Bland, just before the hour, with a ferocious 18 yard drive.

Seconds later, the ex-Middlesbrough keeper reacted well again to tip over following Jake Simpson’s overlapping right-wing run and rising goalbound edge-of-the-box hit.

Bland’s opposite number managed to eclipse him soon after when Bland’s long clearance flicked off a Workington head and Mason volleyed an 18 yard piledriver towards the roof of the net, only for Jamieson to somehow push the ball up and over the bar from point-blank range.

The same player saw a close range effort deflected wide and went into the referee’s notebook for a rash slide, before being withdrawn seconds later for new signing Ryan Brobbel.

The action then swung to the other end and McGee unleashed a 25-yard missile that beat Bland low to his right and seemed to galvanise Workington. Tymon chested down for substitute Gareth Arnison to deflect over and 15 minutes from time, Sam Smith nodded over from Simpson’s left-wing corner.

For Whitby, Roberts ran onto Brobbel’s reverse ball between right-back and centre-half, but saw his close range shot slowed by a defender’s block and Jamieson smothered the ball.

The Cumbrians then made sure of the win, on the break, three minutes from time as more good work from Tymon saw the tall front-man cross low, from the left byline, for Arnison to slide home point-blank.