Blues batter Halesowen to boost play-off push

Whitby Town took all three points with a 4-1 win on Tuesday, despite a lacklustre first-half performance and a red card for Matty Tymon.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 8:43 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 9:54 am
Whitby Town 4-1 Halesowen. Report by Paul Connolly.

Whitby’s evening got off to a disastrous start, with the visitors capitalising on poor defending from the Seasiders.

The Blues’ defence failed to cope with a corner, with defender Liam Slade capitalising on a loose ball from a Shane Bland save to tap home with ease.

The first half was a drag for both sides, with little being created by either side, but it was Whitby who levelled matters, on the stroke of half-time.

Dale Hopson’s defence-splitting pass found Mikey Roberts in space, who poked home first time past the onrushing Daniel Platt.

The lacklustre feel of the game carried on as the second period found its feet, with little separating the two sides.

It was the hosts whose quality showed though, on 56 minutes.

Callum Martin received the ball following an excellent run from David Carson, on the right-hand side, sending a outswinging ball perfectly onto the head of Matty Tymon, who directed the ball well beyond the rooted Platt.

That quality shone through again just over ten minutes, as Whitby began to turn the screw.

Dale Hopson found space on the edge of the 18 yard box, and produced a moment of magic with a curling effort that left Platt completely stranded.

Halesowen’s luck was out, with the Seasiders’ superior league position showing.

David Carson broke into the box from the right-hand side, beating one, before playing across goal. Tymon mistimed his attempt, before Platt palmed Roberts’ effort to Carson, who smashed the ball into the roof of the net from two yards.

The Blues should have added a fifth, with just a minute of normal time left.

The ball fell to Tymon, six yards from goal, but he could only force a low save from the Halesowen stopper, despite having time and space.

Tymon's night was soon over, after being given an early bath by referee Adam Herczeg, in dubious circumstances, following a grapple with Asa Charlton.