Blues almost blow three-goal lead

BOSS Darren Williams gave his Whitby Town team a dressing room dressing down after they almost threw away what looked like an unassailable lead at Grantham on Tuesday night.

The Blues led 3-0 at half-time thanks to an Alex White brace and a Nathan Mulligan free-kick but were clinging on in the end after the Gingerbreads forced their way back into the EvoStik League game.

Things could have been worse had keeper Nick Liversedge not saved a penalty which would have brought the scores level.

Although Williams was delighted with the first 45 minutes, he was far less impressed with the capitulation after the break which almost saw his side denied three points.

“From the first half point of view we did very well. We limited them to not many attempts and scored ourselves – unfortunately the second half saw a turnaround,” he said.

“We went out a little bit lethargic and thinking we’re 3-0 up and cruising and we could have easily thrown away the comfortable lead that we had.

“I was not happy with the second half whatsoever. We got caught napping at times and switched off but towards the end, we looked a lot tighter and a lot stronger.

“I told the lads we need to learn from things like that and not to take our feet off the pedal when doing particularly well. We just had to be solid and make sure we did not concede.

“If we had come away with a point or less on the back of the first half, I would have been really annoyed.

“I don’t want to take away from the fact that we’ve got three points but things had to be said at full-time.”

Williams said the aim now for Whitby is to finish as high as possible up the table. Although he still wants to finish in the play-offs, he does not want to add extra pressure on his players at a busy time of year when the fixtures come thick and fast.

“Let’s see if we can finish well like last season – there are a lot of opportunities for points,” he said.

Defender White showed his goal-scoring capabilities by nodding home an early corner to put Whitby in front on Tuesday.

Mulligan’s free-kick evaded the keeper who was distracted by players directly in front him, similar to Wayne Rooney’s goal on Sunday, to double the lead before ex-Stranraer man White hit home his second.

Grantham replied twice and were awarded a penalty but Liversedge saved the day by saving the spot-kick.

Whitby have now done the double over the Lincolnshire side after beating them 2-0 at home in the autumn.

Grantham Town 2 Whitby Town 3