Captain leads by example as 1sts’ streak goes on

Whitby 1sts completed a comprehensive victory on the road at Marske this past week as they continued their good run of form.

After winning the toss, Whitby captain Paul Buck asked the home side to bat first on what looked a typically good Marske wicket.

Jonathan Wiltshire got the hosts of to a good start as he and his opening partner but on 54 for the first wicket, of which Wiltshire had 40 from 53 deliveries before he was trapped lbw by Chris Lyth.

The second wicket also fell to Lyth when he had Michael Beech caught in the gully by Steve Allen, and the third followed quickly after when Lyth picked up his third wicket.

James Hall was the next to get in on the act, as he dismissed wicket-keeper Powell for just nine. The score was now at 95-4 and in the balance.

But Whitby bowled good areas and fielded well and prevented Marske from ever really gaining any momentum.

The next wicket also fell to Hall when Daniel Amos chipped a catch to Buck at extra cover. This brought Rob Walker to the crease with the score on 123-5 with just under ten overs remaining.

Liam Crooks then was caught behind off the bowling of Mark Jackson for a well made 33 in the very next over, leaving the hosts six down.

But Walker began to launch a severe counter attack as he smashed three sixes in quick succession and threatened to take the game away from Whitby.

But when he was out for a quick fire 22 from just 12 balls, Marske were only able to limp to 188-9 form their 50 overs.

The pick of the Whitby bowlers was James Hall, who finished with four wickets for 51 runs from his 15 overs.

Whitby began their innings in a slow fashion, as both the opening bowlers applied pressure and gave away few scoring opportunities.

But both Whitby openers, Paul Harrison and James Fawcett, stood firm and didn’t give the home side a single chance.

The longer the innings went on without the fall of any wickets, the easier scoring became for Harrison and Fawcett, with Harrison in particular playing some crisp strokes.

The partnership was eventually broken with the score on 90 for no wicket. when Fawcett was trapped lbw by Crooks, who had run in tirelessly and gave his all throughout his 17 overs, for a fine 33.

This brought youngster Will Donald to the middle, with another 99 required for victory.

But Donald was merely a spectator, as Harrison began to open his shoulders. He had soon passed his 50 and had his sights set on a first century of the season.

Donald fell just after the partnership had just passed the 50 mark for a well-made 17. This meant Ron Lyth, coming off the back of 96 not out last week, joined Harrison in the middle with just 30 required for the win.

Harrison appeared to be crusing towards a century, but his innings was unexpectedly cut short when he was trapped lbw for a brilliant 87 from 119 deliveries, including 14 fours.

Kai Morris was the next man in, but after he was dismissed for just seven, it was left to captain Paul Buck to smash 14 in just six balls to finish the game.

This completed a very professional performance from Whitby who will be looking to finish the season with a run of good performances in their final five fixtures, with a hope of progressing to bigger and better things next season.