Falkingbridge’s wine vault in Whitby was the former chapel of ease that became redundant on the building of St Ninian’s chapel in 1778. This old chapel was finally pulled down for road widening in 1925.
The Temperance Hall was also demolished to make way for the London Joint Stock Bank, now the Midlands Bank, in 1905.
The photo, which is the second in our series of images provided by the Whitby Memories Facebook Group, was taken in the 1890s.
The group is holding an exhibition on Sunday at Whitby Rifle Club, to promote local history. It is on from midday to 5pm.