Whitby firefighters believe dropped cigarette sparked shed fire

Firefighters in Whitby believe a dropped cigarette was the cause of a shed fire.

Friday, 14th September 2018, 8:39 am
Updated Friday, 14th September 2018, 8:42 am
Firefighters were called to the scene of a shed fire in East Way, Whitby. Picture: Google

A crew from the town was called to East Way at around 9.35pm yesterday after reports of a garden shed on fire.

A North Yorkshire Fire Services spokesman today said: "A crew from Whitby was called to a garden shed on fire which resulted in slight fire damage to the shed.

"The fire was extinguished by a resident using a garden hose prior to our arrival."

He said the crew had used a thermal imaging camera and lights while at the scene.

It is believed that the cause was a dropped cigarette, he added.