Whitby firefighters believe dropped cigarette sparked shed fire

Firefighters were called to the scene of a shed fire in East Way, Whitby. Picture: Google
Firefighters were called to the scene of a shed fire in East Way, Whitby. Picture: Google

Firefighters in Whitby believe a dropped cigarette was the cause of a shed fire.

A crew from the town was called to East Way at around 9.35pm yesterday after reports of a garden shed on fire.

Also in news: Angry Yorkshire man renames fish and chip shop 'Greedy Landlord' in row with owner

A North Yorkshire Fire Services spokesman today said: "A crew from Whitby was called to a garden shed on fire which resulted in slight fire damage to the shed.

"The fire was extinguished by a resident using a garden hose prior to our arrival."

Also in news: ‘None of us can believe she’s gone’ - Family’s shock at paramedic daughter’s sepsis death at 23

He said the crew had used a thermal imaging camera and lights while at the scene.

It is believed that the cause was a dropped cigarette, he added.