What to do if your home is flooded

editorial image

Scarborough Borough Council has issued advice to anyone affected by last night’s flooding.

The council guidelines state:

Rising water next to the Dolphin pub and towards the base of Whitby's swing bridge'picture: Brian Murfield

Rising water next to the Dolphin pub and towards the base of Whitby's swing bridge'picture: Brian Murfield

Call your insurance company as soon as possible and follow their advice.

Take photographs before you start cleaning and ask your insurer before discarding items that can not be cleaned.

Clearing up after a flood

If you have been affected by flooding, here’s some useful advice on the do’s and don’ts in respect of clearing up

• Take care. There may be dangers in the water such as sharp objects and raised manhole covers. Flood water may have caused structural damage to buildings

• Flood water can contain sewage, chemicals and animal waste. Always wear waterproof outerwear, including gloves, wellington boots and a face mask

• If your electricity supply is not already switched odd at the mains, get a qualified person to do this. Do not touch sources of electricity when standing in flood water.

• If you have gas or oil central heating and it has been checked by an engineer, turn it on. Keep the thermostat between 20-22 degrees centigrade for steady drying.

• You can get water out of your property using a pump and a generator. Position the generator outside in the open air as generators produce carbon monoxide fumes which can kill.

• Only pump out water when flood levels outside your property start to be lower than inside. This reduces the risk of structural damage.

• Shovel mud away evenly from both sides of a wall. This stops pressure building up on one side.

• You can clean and disinfect your property using ordinary household products

• A garden hose is useful for washing down. Do not use high-pressure hoses as they blast contaminated matter into the air

• If you are drying your property naturally, keep doors and windows open as much as possible. If using dehumidifier, close external doors and windows

If you require any further advice or assistance please contact the borough council on (01723) 232323

Alternatively, advice can be found at www.environmentagency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods, www.food.gov.uk/policy-advice/microbiology/flood/ www.hpa.org.uk/Flooding