‘Soul mate’ killed in early morning car smash horror

editorial image
Share this article

The partner of a man killed in a horror car smash on Tuesday morning has said he was her “life and soul”.

Ginny Worrall sobbed as she told the Whitby Gazette she couldn’t believe that her partner of three years, Gary Powell - who turned 21 just a fortnight ago - wasn’t coming back.

Gary had been driving Ginny’s Ford Mondeo along the Carrs from Ruswarp towards Briggswath when the vehicle overturned. Police marks at the scene show the car appeared to hit a grass verge and two trees before coming to rest on its roof.

Gary, a fisherman on the trawler Copious, was seriously injured in the crash and pronounced dead at the scene.

She said: “He was absolutely the life and soul. Everywhere that he went he was always smiling and talking to everybody about nothing. He was so bubbly all the time and I can’t believe that he is not going to come back.”

Floral tributes have been left at the spot near to the crash just at the entrance to Carr Mount.

They include one from Ginny who said she insisted on being taken to the scene, after his body had been taken from the mangled wreckage to Scarborough Hospital, because she couldn’t believe what had happened.

Her tribute simpy read “Gary (babe) Why? Love you always Ginny.”

Others read “RIP Gary You were the best ‘horseman’ ever. Really sad, love Lisa and Tony.”

She told the Gazette: “I asked to go, I wanted to. It would not sink in until I saw it. I had to see it. I am glad I did, I know it was a mess.”

Gary, originally from Middlesbrough, had been living with Ginny in Sleights until they moved to Rosedale Close in Whitby in February.

His parents Linda and Gary and two brothers Lee and Matty have been left “devastated”.

He was also a step-dad figure to the youngest of Ginny’s three children, six-year old Charley.

She added: “He has been with her from being two and a half, they worshipped each other and she just idolised him. She was screaming on Tuesday night when I told her.

“Come back, come back, come back - that’s all she kept saying.”

Police are still investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash which closed the road for most of Tuesday.

Kevin Whittingham was confronted with the horrific scene as he drove to work at Jacksons Butchers in Ruswarp just after 6.30am.

He said: “I spotted a load of debris then came across the car embedded in the side of the road. I drove past and noticed there was smoke and fire coming from it.

“I rang the emergency services and had to stay there until I was released by the police. He was well and truly stuck in the car. I had to go and make sure there was somebody in the car and tell the operator. I was still speaking to them when the police arrived, they were very quick and local police as well.

“I could not see his face, all I could see was his arm. There was no movement or anything and I found out later he was dead. I couldn’t recognise the front end of the car. There were just springs everywhere, it wasn’t nice.”