Remembrance Day call-out for crew

The Staithes RNLI crew following the Remembrance Day call-out
The Staithes RNLI crew following the Remembrance Day call-out

LIFEBOAT volunteers in Staithes rushed from a Remembrance Day service in shirts and ties on Sunday to assist a fishing vessel that had got into difficulty.

The RNLI crew received the call at just before 3pm, when some of the team were taking part in the service at the village memorial.

They were walking up the road to the village hall, where the service was to continue, when the lifeboat was requested to launch.

Dressed in full shirt, tie and Guernsey, the crew rushed to the lifeboat station and a spokesperson said: “This must have been the most smartly dressed the crew has ever been when responding to their pagers.

“It certainly was a sight seeing them all running across the bridge.”

Within three minutes of being paged the lifeboat was in the water and tasked to a fishing vessel that had become stranded with a fouled propellor north west of Staithes.

A tow was established and the fishing boat was brought back to Staithes by the lifeboat, which had to contend with four foot high waves.

Once inside the shelter of the harbour the fishing boat was brought alongside the lifeboat, and then carefully manoeuvred on to its moorings.

The previous evening members of the RNLI crew had attended a fund-raising night at The Hollybush in Skelton, where they collected a cheque for £1,100 for the Staithes station.

The spokesperson added: “It’s truly incredible they can continue to raise this amount of money and it’s a great privilege to go and receive this cheque.

“We must also thank them for a very entertaining night.”

The previous week Staithes lifeboat launched to two of their quickest shouts of the year.

On Sunday 28 October at around 4.20pm, after a day of heavy surf around the harbour, a 999 call was received by Humber coastguard reporting that there was a surfer in difficulty only metres from the harbour entrance.

The surfer had snapped his board in two and was struggling in the surf.

The lifeboat was launched and within 15 seconds was at the south pier of the harbour, where they discovered the suffer had been assisted by a friend and the two were both safe.

The lifeboat was stood down and returned to station, all within three minutes.

Another launch took place on Friday 2 November at 12.55pm following reports of persons cut off by the tide between Skinningrove and Saltburn.

The RNLI crew launched the lifeboat and were proceeding to Skinningrove when Humber Coastguard alerted them to the fact the people were safe and well.

The station spokesperson said: “This just goes to show the unpredictability of the shouts our volunteers deal with.

“These two were very short, but when your pager goes off you never know what type of job you are going to.

“You may be at sea for hours or, in this case, minutes.

“Part of this is what makes it such a rewarding and challenging thing to do.”