Town centre Indian restaurant in court for hygiene breaches

A Whitby restaurant and takeaway business has been hauled before the courts after being accused of having dirty work surfaces and ovens.

Raw and cooked meats were said to be surrounded by dirty cloths and a hygiene record had not been completed for a month.

At a hearing at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court last week, the company, Passage To India (Whitby) Limited, was faced with four separate charges under the Food Hygiene and Safety Regulations 2013.

Court documents allege:

l floor surface, shelves and units beneath the work surfaces in the kitchen were in a dirty condition in that there were accumulations of grease, fat food waste and dirt

l the cooking range was in a dirty condition in that there were accumulations of grease and fat and the refrigerator interiors, handles and seals and interior surfaces of the microwave ovens were in a dirty condition

l safe methods of the Safer Food Better Business pack had not been completed and the opening and closing checks diary had not been completed for a month

llarge quantities of raw meat were found stored in the kitchen surrounded by dirty cloths which were observed being used by staff and raw meats were found stored above cooked meats in the fridge in that this was exposing them to the risk of contamination.

No-one from the firm, which is registered to an address in Ilford, Essex, attended the hearing but it was represented by a solicitor’s letter.

The borough council had brought the case to court. It was adjourned until December 18 in order for a plea to be made.