Hidden beach dangers alert by vets after dog becomes ill

Vets are warning dog owners about hidden dangers at the beach after a dog became seriously ill while on a family staycation.

Friday, 2nd October 2020, 9:55 am

Loveable cavapoo Bailey was left sick and lifeless after dashing in the surf and picking up sticks during a holiday in Whitby.

Worried about his health, owner Donna Bruce turned to Vets Now’s new video consultation service.

During the video call with a qualified emergency vet, it became clear Bailey needed urgent treatment at a clinic

Donna, who lives near Nottingham, rushed the gorgeous 18-month-old to Vets Now where the team provided him with treatment.

There are numerous dangerous hazards for dogs on beaches including palm oil, starfish, dried up seaweed, jellyfish and even salt water.

Donna said: “We’d had him on another beach in Whitby earlier in the week with no problem. But towards the end of the holiday we went to a different beach and he was chasing the foam in the sea.

“The following morning he had a bit of sickness and diarrhoea and, after we’d headed home, it was really bad. Within a few hours he was shaky on his legs and then he just laid out, totally lethargic and lifeless.”

“The Vets Now video consultation service worked really well. We were worried and I just needed to know whether or not I had to take him to be seen at a clinic. I got the video call bang on time and the vet was very thorough and ever so helpful.”

Vet surgeon Ashleigh Wilson was on duty when Donna contacted Vets Now.

She said: “Beaches are obviously very popular with dog walkers but they do contain hidden hazards.

“For example, the salt, bacteria and parasites in sea water can make dogs sick and dehydrated.

“Also, if a dog swallows enough sand it can cause a blockage in the intestine, which is called sand impaction.”