Artists invited to create thought-provoking public art and sculpture at Whitby Hospital
Artists are being invited to create high quality, innovative and thought-provoking public art pieces and a sculpture for Whitby Community Hospital.
The proposed new artworks will be part of a plan for a range of exhibits, which will be displayed in various areas of the building and include a sculpture at the turning circle of the hospital main entrance.
The project brief, set by Humber Teaching NHS Foundation Trust, includes creating a sense of welcome, having a unique flair that reflects the heritage of Whitby Town, bringing together a community, being neutral in regards to culture and politics and being easy to clean and maintain.
The project will also be funded with the help of fundraising and charitable grants.
If shortlisted, the final artist(s) of choice will begin work immediately, with an aim to have the artwork ready for installation as soon as possible and before the formal opening anticipated
in early 2022.
Artists who are interested should explain their visions for the exhibits and also be able to demonstrate:
* a track record of producing high quality artwork and meeting deadlines
* an ability to inspire and to take inspiration from others
* experience of working with a wide range of audiences
* an understanding of site specific public art
* a sensitivity to the lived experiences of hospital users when developing and delivering artworks
* an ability to deliver high quality and engaging workshops
* deliver via any medium providing it meets the brief
Applications must also include:
* full details of the individual(s) including address and contact details
* up to date CV linked to the artist specification above
* details and images of previous work (minimum 3)
* a written statement outlining your approach to the commission
* your availability to work from mid Aug 2021 – Jan 2022
* DBS certificate
* proof of public liability insurance
*contact details of two referees
If you are interested, plese send your application along to Sonia Rafferty, Service Manager - email [email protected] - with the subject line Public Art Commission Whitby Hospital.
All submissions will be reviewed by an Arts Steering Group and shortlisted candidates will be invited to a short interview before a judging panel at Whitby Hospital site as soon as
In the likely event that several artists are chosen as finalists for the project, they will be expected to work collectively towards the common goal.
Further to this, the artist(s) selected for commission will be in consultation, engagement and participation with hospital representatives, the architect and the Estates team at Whitby
The closing date for submissions is Saturday July 31.