Park plummet from title race after 6-1 humbling at home to leaders Boro Rangers

Boro Rangers took another huge step towards the North Riding League Premier Division title and dealt a big blow to one of their near rivals in the process as they humbled a depleted Fishburn Park 6-1.

Thursday, 26th April 2018, 12:14 pm
Updated Thursday, 26th April 2018, 12:21 pm
Fishburn Park in an aerial duel with Boro Rangers

Co-player-manager Mark Waterfield struck for Park, but the leaders responded through braces from Jonny Squires and Paul Blake, with additional strikes from Stu Rose and Nathan Liddell.

Third-bottom Staithes Athletic will be looking over their shoulders after a 3-1 defeat at Guisborough United.

Staithes rallied in the last 20 minutes, but Luke Harrison’s strike was only a consolation.

Staithes lost 4-0 at Boro Rangers on Wednesday night.

In Division One, Whitby Fishermens Society edged to a 4-3 win at Stokesley Sports Club Reserves.

Karl Storr, Callum Dale, Sam Dowey and Lewis Peel netted for the visitors, despite Stokesley taking a third- minute lead through Ryan Bangay.

Charlie Brady and Sam Pears netted either side of half-time, but it wasn’t enough for Steve Todd’s side.

Lealholm suffered a 1-0 defeat in their Junior Cup final against Wombleton Wanderers at the Turnbull Ground on Friday evening.

It was game of two halves, Lealholm having the better of the first half and Wombleton the second half.

After just two minutes a cross by a Lealholm player was dropped by the Wombleton keeper Rob Campbell to Jaime Nicholson, who was six yards from the goal.

He rushed his effort with the ball bouncing on the hard pitch and somehow his strike went over the crossbar.

Wombleton’s Luke McLaren then produced excellent saves from the Lealholm keeper Tobi Fergus.

Lealholm picked up a couple of bad injuries to Jaime Nicholson and Andy Raw after a couple of bad tackles.

After 56 minutes Wombleton were awarded a penalty when Mike Trotter brought down Jake Dennison right on the edge of the area.

Referee Malcolm Lloyd awarded the penalty kick, but keeper Tobi Fergus saved it.

Wombleton were now well on top and good chances fell to Martin Deacon and Danny Butterworth, but again Tobi Fergus made important saves.

Wanderers then scored the only goal of the game in the 80th minute as a cross by Tim Sharples came back out to Martin Deacon, who superbly hit the ball first time from 18 yards past Tobi Fergus.

Wombleton’s defence held firm for the remainder of the game and stoppage time to claim victory. Man of the match for Lealholm was keeper Tobi Fergus.

Wombleton then beat Lealholm again on Monday night in the Beckett League Premier Division, less than 72 hours after their Junior Cup victory.

It was another very tight, end-to-end game with defences well on top.

The opening goal of the game arrived in the 39th when Wombleton took the lead with a soft goal.

Two minutes later Wombleton doubled their lead when Danny Butterworth lobbed Tobi Fergus from near the halfway line.

Lealholm were reduced to 10 men in the last minute when they had Soni Fergus sent off after a challenge and Wombleton held on for the win.

Man of the match was Nicholson playing up front, while Zac Tennant also shone in defence.

Sleights hammered Duncombe Park 11-0 on Wednesday night in their last league game of the season.

Man of the match Charlie Patterson hit four, Jack Henshaw fired a hat-trick, Billy Graham scored two and James Fawcett andJoe Hugill also got on the scoresheet.

Sleights reached the semi-final in the Panasonic League Cup with a 2-0 win over Duncombe Park last week thanks to second half goals scored by Charlie Smith and Ben Wilson.

They’ll visit Gillamoor on Monday in their semi-final, kick off 6.30pm.

Itis Itis Rovers had to work hard again for a 2-1 home success against Fishburn Park Reserves in Division Two of the Scarborough & District Saturday League.

Jordan Lee, who is usually the keeper for the champs, scored the opener for the home side with a 40-yard free-kick and doubled the lead from the penalty spot when he was fouled after the break.

Josh Welburn, the stand-in Rovers keeper, saved a penalty in the first half, but could not stop Park pulling a goal back in the 70th minute through a Billy Arnold tap-in after fine work from Andrew Young on the wing.

Division Two runners-up Scalby powered to a 9-3 home win against Fishburn Park Reserves on Monday night.

Goldsborough United earned a 3-1 home win against 10-man Sherburn, and followed it up with a 5-0 win at Old Vic on Wednesday.