Muscle remedy sparks house fire

A HOUSE in Whitby has been left with smoke and fire damage after a treatment for aches and pains set fire to a bed.

The bean bag had been overheated in the microwave and placed on the bed which caught light.

Fire crews from Whitby and Lythe were called to the semi-detached house on Rosemount Road at around 11.45pm on Monday night.

They used breathing apparatus, two hose reels and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the blaze which left fire and heat damage to the bed, smoke damage to the bedroom, first floor and ground floor.

The female occupant of the house suffered slight smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene by paramedics.

There were no smoke detectors at the house so the fire service fitted two before they left the house an hour later.