Man's death was an accidental overdose

A MAN reported missing died in Scarborough Hospital after taking an accidental overdose of paracetamol in Whitby, an inquest heard.

Jack Bennett (64), from Durham, was staying in a hotel in Whitby and had not been seen by family or friends for weeks before he died.

He booked into the Granby Hotel, in Skinner Street, where he took 48 paracetamol tablets to control his migraines.

He suffered liver problems and was taken to Scarborough Hospital.

His condition quickly deteriorated and he died from liver failure the next day.

The inquest was heard at Norton Court and coroner Richard Watson said: “Mr Bennett had a history of depression and took medication to control his migraines.

“Unfortunately he did not have his medication with him when he was at the hotel and instead used a large amount of paracetamol.

“At the time he was reported as a missing person but he had sent texts to his family so there was no huge concern.

“Some people do not realise how dangerous paracetamol can be and Mr Bennett obviously didn’t.

“He died as a result of an accidental overdose.”

Mr Watson recorded a verdict of accidental death.