Man jailed after brutal attack on his girlfriend

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A man has been jailed for 12 months following a vicious attack on his partner.

Andrew Sigsworth, 26, head-butted the victim several times and punched her repeatedly until she fell unconscious.

He pulled her hair out, stamped on her head and butted her so hard he broke her nose

Before passing out, the victim screamed at Sigsworth to hand over her mobile phone so she could call an ambulance, but he stamped on the handset and cracked the cover.

The horrifying attack happened during a barbecue on at the couple’s home in Whitby, which they hosted to thank friends and family for lending them money to refurbish their house.

But Sigsworth got increasingly drunk and exploded with rage when he discovered his partner had been using a dating site during a rocky patch in their relationship.

York Crown Court heard that Sigsworth began his merciless attack in the garden after all but two guests had left the barbecue, and resumed the savage beating in the kitchen.

As well as a broken nose, the victim - who was named in court - suffered bruising to her face, ribs, legs and forearm.

She was taken to hospital but felt so unwell there were fears - later dispelled following tests - that she had suffered a blood clot.

After being arrested, Sigsworth, of East Way, Whitby, told police he couldn’t remember the incident but said his girlfriend wouldn’t lie.

The diminutive aeronautical engineer appeared for sentence on Tuesday after admitting ABH and criminal damage in the early hours of July 12.

Defence barrister Glen Parsons said Sigsworth was “truly ashamed about his “disgraceful behaviour”.

He added that his client now faced losing his job and his home. His friends and family had also turned against him.

Jailing Sigsworth for 12 months, Mr Recorder Harris described the attack as “cruel, vicious and unprovoked”.

He also made a restraining order, to run indefinitely, which bans Sigsworth from contacting or approaching the victim.