Lucky escape for family as fire guts house

Debris outside the house on Westbourne Road''w111401a
Debris outside the house on Westbourne Road''w111401a
Share this article

A WHITBY family had a lucky escape when unattended candles set fire to a pair of curtains sparking a major house fire.

The two young children and two adults had managed to get out of the house on Westbourne Road by themselves by the time the fire brigade arrived and were uninjured after being alerted to the blaze by a smoke alarm.

Fire-fighters, including six crew members wearing breathing apparatus spent almost four hours tackling the blaze with resources being drafted in from Whitby, Lythe, Robin Hood’s Bay and Danby.

It started at around 11.30am on Saturday morning and by 3pm some fire-fighters were still at the semi-detached house helping fire investigation officers.

There had been 100 per cent fire damage to the upstairs bedroom where the fire started and 80 per cent of the upstairs floor had been damaged by smoke.

A fire spokesperson told the Gazette: “There was rapid acceleration due to what was in the room. CDs and DVDs on the windowsill accelerated the burning quite significantly.

“It was a major contribution to why it was so well alight when we got there.

“The man would have been trapped in the bathroom with no doubt whatsoever – smoke alarms were a big thing there.

“If people are going to use candles keep them off windowsills and the tops of tvs, make sure they are in holders and don’t leave them unattended.”

Fire crews were also out at two other house fires in the town on Friday.

The first was at around 1pm at a property on St Peter’s Road following reports of a smoke alarm being unanswered.

Fire crews discovered an unattended pan which had caught fire.

Later on Friday afternoon at about 4.45pm there was a cooker fire in a house in Waterstead Crescent.