Fishburn fall to cup defeat at the Turnbull

Fishburn Park started well but eventually fell to a 5-2 defeat to Northern League outfit Thornaby in their North Riding Senior Cup clash at the Turnbull Ground on Wednesday evening.

Thursday, 25th October 2018, 4:20 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th October 2018, 4:33 pm
Park go on the attack at the Turnbull Ground.

Park appeared to be on course for a huge cup shock after goals from Sam Richardson and Adam Warrilow handed them a 2-0 advantage.

That lead was halved heading into the break before four unanswered second-half goals saw the favourites, who ply their trade in Division Two of the Northern League, safely through to the next round.

Thornaby fielded ex-Whitby Town men Jamie Poole and James Dawsonin their side.

Thornaby fire past Fishburn keeper Kieran Noble. Pictures by Brian Murfield.

The stand-out result in the MacMillan Bowl saw first division Whitby Fishermens keep up their great run to shock Premier title-chasers Stockton West End 4-3 at Lythe Sports Field.

This was despite West End goals from Elliott May, Ben Turner and Chris Peacock.

Mark Jones’ Fishermens side netted through Jake Faichney, James Armstrong and a brace from man of the match Karl Storr.

Boro Rangers stay second in the North Riding Football League Premier Division, but were made to work for their 1-0 victory by a stubborn Staithes Athletic.

In the end, it was only Jamie Lisle’s second half header that separated the sides at Seaton Crescent.

Lealholm hammered Heslerton 6-1 to register their seventh successive Beckett League Division One win this season.

The Tigers quickly recovered from a nervous start when Josh Hodgson won the ball in the fourth minute, laid it out to 17-year-old left-back Dylan Swales, who crossed the ball for Arron Leeman to score with a superb header.

Two minutes later they doubled their lead when Mark McCarthy hit the post and Jay Kilpatrick scored with a 20-yard shot into the bottom corner.

They took a three-goal lead after 10 minutes when McCarthy lobbed the home keeper from 40 yards.

Midway through the half Heslerton came into the game and James Sawdon scored after 27 minutes.

Lealholm’s fourth goal arrived in the 50th minute, good work by Leeman resulted in an own goal being scored.

Heslerton were awarded a penalty but Adam Stockell’s effort was superbly saved by keeper Tobi Fergus.

Four minutes later Sam Russell set-up substitute Calum Ripley to score and in the 79th minute Russell scored his side’s sixth and final goal with an unstoppable free-kick.

Man of the match was left-back Swales.

Sleights defeated Slingsby to progress in the Gordon Harrison Memorial Trophy.

It was Sleights who took the lead with a penalty converted by James Fawcett.

Five minutes later Slingsby scored a well-deserved equaliser when Steve Walker’s cross found Danny Nunwick to score.

Five minutes later Slingsby took the lead when Antony Taylor converted a penalty kick to give his side a 2-1 interval lead.

The second half saw Elliott Hewison score his first-ever goal for Sleights to equalise in the 46th minute.

On the hour-mark Will Cork-Dove fired Sleights into the lead, but 10 minutes later Slingsby equalised thanks to a second Nunwick goal.

Ten minutes from time Sleights regained the lead when Charlie Smith scored but in the last minute Slingsby equalised through Jack Batty to force a penalty shoot-out.

Sleights’ four all scored, Smith, Theo Clarke, Cork-Dove and Sam Leadley all netting, and for Slingsby Antony Taylor, Joe Brown, and Dean Sleightholme all scored before Jermaine Timms missed and Sleights won 4-3.

Man of the match was midfielder Clark.

Seamer Sports Reserves battled back to earn a 5-5 draw at Scarborough Saturday League Division Two high-flyers Goldsborough United.

Seamer opened the scoring with a Dan Jewitt header, but goals from Ben Watson (2) and Shane Bannister put United 3-1 ahead.

Connor Myerscough pulled another goal back before Oli Parker made it level at the interval.

Goals from Dave Welham and Watson, the latter completing his hat-trick, put United back in the driving seat, but a penalty from Connor Myersough, conceded needlessly by Welham, and his third goal earned the visitors a share of the spoils.

FC Rosette claimed a 3-1 home win against Fishburn Park Reserves thanks to a hat-trick from young striker Dane Robinson.

Front man Robinson opened things up with a close-range finish, although Fishburn Park levelled on the stroke of half-time with a Fin Morris penalty.

The striker struck twice in the second half to seal the win for Rosette, earning a treble and the man of the match award, while Carl Oliver shone in goal for Fishburn.

Second-placed Trafalgar kept in touch with Angel after romping to a 14-0 win at Fylingdales in Division One of the Scarborough & District Sunday League.