One of the most prominent exhibits and a favourite of many visitors at the Captain Cook Memorial Museum in Whitby is the cutaway model of the Resolution.
Made by RA Lightly on a scale 1:48, it is exhibited in the Voyages room.
The display shows a model of the ship and her crew as they were when she left England on Captain James Cook’s third and last voyage.
This was at 8pm on the 12th July 1776.
The models of the men with their equipment and stores show them employed in appropriate tasks.
The Resolution, being Cat-built, was very roomy below deck and could therefore carry sufficient stores for the long months at sea.
It also had the advantage of a shallow draught.
The model is cut away on the Starboard side in order to reveal the interior. In the bow can be seen the Gunners’ store room and the magazine with its light room lantern.
A light was placed in the lantern to ensure that no naked flame was taken into the magazine where powder was always present.
Features such as the ceiling, upon which the men walked, and its raised footwaling can be seen.
The heavy riders lie at right angles and cross over the keelson which in turn rests upon the frames or ribs of the ship, all providing a very strong structural unit which counteracted the working of the timbers at sea.
The pump well surrounds the foot of the main mast.
The timbered well is cut away to reveal the shafts of the common or elm tree pumps which ascend to the quarter deck and the chain pumps which can be seen on the lower deck.
The dales carried the bilge water to the sides when the pumps were working.
The Resolution was built at Fishburn Yard in Whitby.
Formerly the Whitby Cat the Marquis of Granby, was taken into the King’s service and converted from a collier into an armed merchantman.
Cook sailed in her on his second voyage in company with the Adventure and on his third voyage with the Discovery as her consort.
On this last voyage he sailed to the South Seas and then North to make an unsuccessful attempt to discover the North West Passage.
On returning South, Cook went to Hawaii where he was killed on Sunday, 14th February 1779.
The ships, now under the command of Captain Clerke, searched again for the Passage and, when Clerke died, John Gore brought both vessels home and finally dropped anchor at Deptford on 6th October 1780.
The Captain Cook Memorial Museum is located in Grape Lane, Whitby, in the 17th Century house to which Cook came as a young man in 1747 to be apprenticed to Captain John Walker.
The museum tells the story of Cook, and of the crews, artists and scientists who sailed with him.
It illustrates the story with original paintings and drawings from the Voyages, letters in Cook’s hand, ship models and artefacts from the Pacific.
The museum is open daily to November 6, 9.45am to 5pm.
Winter openings arranged by appointment.