Victim saved by Scooby Doo onesie

Police stock pix.Picture Richard Ponter 134127e
Police stock pix.Picture Richard Ponter 134127e

The victim of an assault outside a Whitby nightclub was saved from further injury thanks to the Scooby-Doo outfit he was wearing, a court has heard.

Sharron Hutchinson, of Auckland Way, was out celebrating her fortieth birthday when she assaulted Lesley Brown by punching him on the back of the head and digging her nails into his forearm.

Mr Brown is the brother of William Brown, who has recently been released from an eight-year sentence following the killing of “a very close family friend” of Hutchinson, said Shaun Greenhall, mitigating.

He said that certain comments had been made by the Brown family to Hutchinson and her children, and that these had been reported to the police.

He said: “Comments were made along the lines of knowing where the family are and that the wrong person was killed.”

He added: “When Miss Hutchinson was out celebrating her fortieth birthday she came across the Brown family and friends and she suffered the same chanting as her children.

“She initially said ‘leave my family alone. Hasn’t this gone on long enough?”

Mr Greenham said it was “bizarre and significant” that the complainant was wearing a Scooby-do onesie, which included a mask and thereby afforded him some protection from the assault.

Hutchinson denied punching Brown in the head or scratching him, but she accepts she grabbed his chest area in the incident which happened at around 1.20am on March 16 near the Raw nightclub, the court heard.

Prosecuting, Catherine Turnbull said that, following the assault, Lesley Brown told the police there had been previous issues and trouble between the families.

She said Mr Brown was also out on a birthday celebration and. In a statement he said: “I heard her making a comment and I kept on walking.”

He also said in the statement that, soon after, he felt a strike behind his left ear and felt some pain, but he said “my friends pulled me away and her friends pulled her away.”

However, he said that Hutchinson “came back for him again,” the court heard.

Hutchinson was given a three-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 surcharge.

Magistrates decided not to order her to pay compensation to Mr Brown as they felt it would aggravate the situation.