Second day of Whitby murder trial

Share this article

The prosecution in the case of James Allen have claimed that they possess a “significant body of evidence” to link him to the murder of a Whitby woman.

Highlighting examples of CCTV images, witness statements and forensic evidence, Robert Smith QC concluded his opening statement on Tuesday morning.

Mr Smith asked the jury to consider: “What is the explanation for defendant’s presence in Church Square on the morning Julie Davison was murdered? Why did he discard his clothes after Julie Davison’s murder, particularly bearing in mind the circumstances in which she was stabbed and had bled heavily at her home?”

It is alleged that following the murder of Julie Davison, James Allen cycled to the Flask Inn on the A171. He then left his bicycle beside a wall and caught a bus to Scarborough.

CCTV images at the Scarborough branch of Cash Generator then showed Mr Allen exchanging a medallion “identical in every way to a gold St Christopher that belonged to Julie Davison”, according to Mr Smith QC. Julie’s medallion was a gift from her sister Dawn.

Mr Allen received £35 in this deal but chose not to also exchange a laptop, which it is alleged he stole from Julie.

However, in a statement given to police at the time of his arrest, James Allen claimed that he had swapped his mountain bike for a laptop and £40 with a man named Scott.

Mr Smith QC added that in his statement James Allen admitted he had visited Church Square, where Julie lived, but that “he had been there with a man named Scott who had been there to try to buy drugs”.

After exchanging the jewellery in Scarborough Mr Allen spent the night at the Allerton Lodge guest house on West Square.

The following morning he would take a Coastliner bus to Leeds, where he was later arrested on 29 April.

Following the opening address the prosecution began by calling witnesses, including Angelina Dicicco. Her partner, George Foreman was a close friend of Colin and had grown concerned when he failed to appear at Samuelson’s Club, which he frequented on a daily basis.

Ms Dicicco, Mr Foreman and the club’s owner, Andy Mallett, discovered Colin’s body at his Leven Street home.

The court then heard a 999 call which Ms Dicicco then placed, where she is heard sobbing and said: “He’s been robbed and murdered”.

The trial continues.