Prison for young sexual offender

York Crown Court
York Crown Court

A 15-YEAR-OLD girl was left traumatized and injured after being sexually attacked by a boy at a Whitby house party.

In what was described as a “youthful experiment” involving two “sheltered and naïve” young people, the pair had been drinking quite heavily and, together with another couple, retired to sleep on a single bed, fully clothed and huddled together to keep warm.

However, York Crown Court was told that after the other couple left the room, the 15-year-old boy began sexually touching and assaulting the girl, leaving her bruised and cut.

The assault ended when the other couple returned and the girl was able to tell the other female what had happened before leaving the party in tears.

The boy, now 16, who like his victim cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared before the court on Thursday (29 November) for sentencing, having previously admitting a charge of assault by penetration.

Helen Wheatley, prosecuting, told how the pair had attended the party, held while the parents of the home were out on 17 December, last year.

She said that the girl consented to being kissed, but then, when the assault started, her repeated requests for the boy to stop were ignored and she becoming afraid of his increasing aggressive nature.

After reporting the assault to her parents and the police the girl was medically examined and found to have “traumatic injuries”.

The court heard that after his arrest the boy appeared to find the news of the injuries “amusing”, claiming that because of the drink he had consumed he could not remember exactly what had happened.

Miss Wheatley said that blood found on the boy’s clothing was found to be a match to the girl’s, the defendant telling the police that he had “got off” with the girl, kissing her, but not being able to recall grabbing or assaulting her.

He did however recall the girl leaving the party in distress.

Andrew Semple, mitigating, said that the case called for “restorative justice” rather than custody to help both victim and defendant.

Adding that his client had achieved good exam grades, Mr Semple said that custody could seriously affect his future progress and prospects.

Mr Semple said that the boy had undertaken counselling in an attempt to understand what he had done after drinking too much, without the experience of what effect it could have.

Telling the boy that what he had done would have an effect on his victim for the rest of her life, The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, told him that it was a difficult case for the court, dealing with a young boy of previous good character who had carried out such a serious offence without any consent from the victim.

He said that custody was the only sentence he could impose to punish the boy for his violent offending, and make it clear to others that such behaviour will be punished.

Ordering that the boy should be registered as a sex offender for the next three-and-a-half years, the judge sentenced him to a six month Detention and Training Order - three months custody and three months training in the community.

He said that it was the shortest sentence possible and that he hoped that, once served, it would allow the boy to regain his good character and fulfil the promise that he showed.