Court told man punched off duty police officer in the face

AN off duty police officer enjoying a night out with colleagues in Whitby had to undergo steroid treatment for an eye injury after being punched by a local man.

Stephen Clegg and fellow police officers were on a night out from Durham when they ended up in Raw nightclub in the town in the early hours of 14 July last year.

While on the dance floor, the officer was accused by Martyn Cana of pushing him.

Cana then punched Mr Clegg, sending him to the floor.

As a result of the attack, Mr Clegg suffered a displacement of his nose, bruising, a small cut which has left a facial scar, but also had undergo a treatment of steroid drops to repair damage inside his left eye.

Cana (25) of Westbourne Road, Whitby, appeared before York Crown Court on Tuesday for sentencing, having previously admitted a charge of inflicting actual bodily harm.

Helen Wheatley, prosecuting, told how, although still being able to do his job, the officer had been left feeling troubled about going out and with concerns about his eye sight in future years.

The court heard that Cana has a record of violent offending, being subject to a community order for a charge of battery at the time of the attack on the officer.

Laura Addy, mitigating, said that her client was ashamed of what he had done, in his own words saying “I need to stop drinking don’t I?”

Adding that Cana accepted that his drinking had been out of control, Miss Addy said that a sentence enabling him to tackle this problem would be of more benefit than immediate imprisonment.

Miss Addy said that Cana would lose his business as a self-employed tradesman if imprisoned, also putting out of a work an apprentice.

Passing sentence, The Recorder of York, Judge Stephen Ashurst, told Cana that he was being given a final chance.

Having read a pre-sentence report and a number of references, the judge said that he believed that Cana realized that he could not carry on as he had been.

Cana was sentenced to nine months imprisonment, suspended for two years, ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and placed under a six month electronically tagged curfew between 8pm and 6am on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.