A BARN has been ruined by a fire thought to have been started by sparks from an angle grinder.
The owners of Skelder Hill farm on the Guisborough Road were alerted to the drama by the postman who noticed smoke billowing from the outbuilding.
A fire crew from Whitby, one from Lythe and the aerial ladder platform from Scarborough were called to the farm just before 1.30pm on Tuesday.
The roof of the barn was totally burnt out and three kayaks being stored inside suffered heat damage.
Keith and Helen Johnston spent Tuesday afternoon putting structures in place to support the damaged roof until builders could be on site to repair the damage.
Keith said: “The postman came to the door and notified us. We rang the fire brigade and by the time they got here we had put buckets of water on it and it took them about ten minutes to put it out.
“It has taken a quarter of the roof off and damaged a few tiles inside. The canoes were stored in the roof space and one has melted a little bit but we are not that bothered about them, they were just for the bairns.
“We are not a working farm and don’t have any animals, no-one was hurt and it wasn’t the house - that’s the main thing.”