Busiest week of year for mountain rescue team

The evacuation from New Wath Scar at Goathland'submitted
The evacuation from New Wath Scar at Goathland'submitted

THE mountain rescue team which covers the North York Moors had its busiest week of the year so far with five call outs in as many days.

Scarborough and Ryedale Mountain Rescue, manned by volunteer doctors, paramedics and expert climbers, have helped an elderly walker who broke his leg near Goathland, a man who fell at Beggar’s Bridge and then in the early hours of the morning searched for two lost walkers.

The team and vehicles packing up after the successful search for the Lyke Wake walkers

The team and vehicles packing up after the successful search for the Lyke Wake walkers

The first call was on Tuesday afternoon when the team were called to assist the Ambulance Service with a rescue but it turned out it was out of area and passed onto the relevant team.

Later that day the police requested the team’s assistance for a family of four who had walked from High Staindale but became disorientated in Dalby Forest. Two crew members were despatched, found the family and took them back to their car.

On Thursday afternoon the team helped rescue an elderly man who had fallen on a slippery track at New Wath Scar, Goathland and suffered a suspected broken leg.

He was winched into the RAF Sea King and flown to Scarborough Hospital where he underwent surgery on his injuries and the team also took his companions back to Pickering Station.

An evening’s training turned into the real deal on Friday when a man had a vertical fall of over seven metres and sustained a leg injury near Beggar’s Bridge at Glaisdale.

There was no option of using a helicopter so the team carried the casualty for over 700 metres along a narrow and slippery track to an awaiting ambulance.

Within hours the team was back out again after a 5am call out to assist in the search for two Lyke Wake Walkers who had last been seen at 8.30pm the previous evening by the team during the training exercise.

This was at Ellerbeck Bridge on the A169 Whitby to Pickering Road.

Search parties covered an eight mile radius and found the first missing person “clearly disorientated” and at Harwood Dale Forrest and the second at Burniston after having abandoned their walk at the 42 mile crossing of the North York Moors.

The team was stood down six hours later and went home for a late breakfast and to clean kit ready for the next call.

On Wednesday afternoon the team went to the Hermitage at Maybeck to help with the evacuation of a woman who had hurt her leg.