Beach body discovery was dog walker’s second

Beach scene setter
Beach scene setter

A DOG walker has told how she made the grim discovery of a body on the beach on Sunday – the second time it has happened to her.

Irene Lyth was looking among the rocks on the beach near the battery parade for balls with her border collie Rio at about 8am when she saw the body.

Body found on beach - scensetters

Body found on beach - scensetters

It later emerged it was 29-year-old Adam Sykes who lived in East Terrace, Whitby.

Police were unable to say how Mr Sykes met his death but added that there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and an inquest is due to be opened and adjourned later.

Mrs Lyth had been waiting for friend Celia King to join her on the beach and says she “just knew” the figure lying among the rocks was a body.

She told the Whitby Gazette: “I walk there every morning and go to the extension and touch the wall for luck and when I come back look among the rocks for balls for the dog.

“I thought I would have a sit down but Rio went straight to the rocks and I thought that’s a body.

“I didn’t get close enough but I knew in my own mind it was.

“I walked a bit and thought ‘yes it is’ and then Celia came and said it was. I never looked at it but she said he was only a young boy.

“I just rang 999, I was in a bit of a panic but Celia was very calm and sat with him until the police came.”

Teams of officers raced to the scene and covered the body with a foil sheet while the slipway to the beach and the Battery Parade were cordoned off.

One of the police community support officers recognised Mr Sykes and officers were also seen searching a van parked opposite the Royal Hotel which they believe was registered to him or was being used by him.

Yesterday morning, Mrs Lyth was still shaken by the incident, especially as it is the second time the pair have found a body while walking their dogs after discovering an old lady from York about four years ago.

She added: “I have two lads of my own and haven’t seen one of them for ages because he lives away but he just walked in on Sunday afternoon and I just cuddled and cuddled him.

“It is horrible.

“I did not go down there today.

“I thought I am not going down there on my own.

“It has happened to us once before and you think it won’t happen again.”