Asbestos exposure in early life led to family man’s death

Share this article

THE death of a Whitby man was caused by years of being exposed to asbestos in the work place.

David Guest had had a number of engineering jobs throughout his working life which spanned over 40 years.

An inquest into his death heard Mr Guest died at home in Ainthorpe near Danby on 27 October last year and the cause of death was malignant mesothelioma caused by asbestos exposure.

A timeline of employment outlined by Mr Guest before he died revealed he started at a dock company in 1958 and worked there until 1963. He was an apprentice and worked in close proximity to colleagues who dealt with asbestos lagging.

He moved to a shipping company for two years where he worked on boilers in close proximity to asbestos and between 1965 and 1966 he worked with asbestos lagging at another engineering company.

From 1966 to 1970 Mr Guest was an ICI engineer, again working near asbestos and like his previous jobs had not been given any protective equipment like a mask to wear.

In the 1970s he went to work for another company and worked with asbestos but here he was given a mask to wear and subsequent jobs followed but he wasn’t dealing with the deadly material which was often used because of its strength, resistance to fire, heat, electrical and chemical damage and because it was cheap.

Samples taken during a post mortem examination revealed tumours consistent with malignant mesothelioma and health experts said they in turn were consistent with the presence of asbestos.

Coroner Michael Oakley recorded a verdict of industrial disease.