Airlift drama

editorial image

A pensioner’s life was saved by quick thinking pals after a horror accident on his allotment which saw him sever an artery in his leg.

The 72 year-old, known as Lol Pearson, was helping a fellow allotment holder out and was using a rotavator when it tipped up unexpectedly. He fell into the device and got his leg and clothes tangled up in the moving machinery.

Have a go heroes Stan and Chris Waite, Mike Smith and Peter Allen

Have a go heroes Stan and Chris Waite, Mike Smith and Peter Allen

Eyewitnesses say his leg was gashed below the knee almost to the bone and an artery severed, causing blood to pour from the open wound.

As he screamed out, fellow plot holders on the allotments at Stakesby Vale rushed to his aid with one using his vest to stem the flow and another used Mr Pearson’s boot lace as a tourniquet while another phoned for an ambulance.

Mr Pearson was losing blood quickly from the wound and started to faint so one chap held him up by the shoulders while another used a knife to cut his trouser material from the rotavator.

As soon as paramedics arrived on the scene they called for the Great North Air Ambulance which had to make an emergency landing on the playing fields at Whitby Community College before transporting him to James Cook hospital in MIddlesbrough.

Following Friday’s accident his pals on the allotments told how Mr Pearson, who lives off Baxtergate, was still laughing and joking as the drama unfolded and is in good spirits as he recovers.

Former army man, Stan Waite said: “The lads are always shouting over to each other so nobody took any notice but our lass shouted ‘tourniquet’ and I legged it over there.

“You could actually see the blood spurting out, I grabbed his leg and took my vest off and wrapped it around the injury and applied pressure until the first aiders arrived.”

And despite what medical advice they were being given, qualified first aider Peter Allen used one of Mr Pearson’s boot laces as a tourniquet to try and prevent further blood loss.

Mr Waite added: “When we were on the phone they said don’t put a tourniquet on but we had to do something straight away to stop it. We are just one big happy family, everybody helps each other out and that’s what it is all about.”

Mr Allen added: “He was joking all the way throughout, his boot was full of blood and he told us to feed it to his tomatoes. The quick response team was fantastic and thank god for the mobile phone.

“One of the lads was in a bit of a panic so we took over. I didn’t panic because if you do, they do.”

Mike Smith, chairman of the Stakesby Vale Association, added that Mr Pearson would be in hospital for a couple of weeks but was eager to get back to his allotment plot.