Danby Beacon was lit by Lord Downe on Saturday evening to mark Trafalgar Day.
The event was organised by the Danby Beacon Society and attended by about 30 people from the Upper Esk.
The beacon was first erected during the Napoleonic wars, as part of a coastal warning system of invasion.
The site was then used as one of the first radar stations during the Second World War.
The present gas-fuelled beacon was built in 2008 as a celebration of local history, by Egton blacksmith James Godbold.
The lighting last Saturday evening at 6pm by Lord Downe, was to commemorate the battle of Trafalgar in 1814.
He spoke of the beacon’s testimony to our island culture.