Itis Itis United quit Sunday League

Itis Itis United, red kit, take on Heslerton earlier this season
Itis Itis United, red kit, take on Heslerton earlier this season
0
Have your say

Itis Itis United have resigned from the Scarborough News Sunday League first division.

The top-flight strugglers have called off their last two matches due to a lack of players, with Sunday's game against Trafalgar postponed at the last minute.

There will now be only seven teams in the first division, while there are 11 in division two.

United boss Aaron Hepworth said: "I thought we could see out the rest of the season despite struggling in recent weeks but when only a few turned up on Sunday I had to call off the game.

"I decided it was time to call it a day as we were being fined every time we failed to raise a team."

Hepworth, who took over the club several weeks ago after the departure of former manager James Prethero, added: "When we lost three lads to Newlands it didn't help as they were all very good players.

"The letter has been sent to the league to make it official and I have also been in contact with the North Riding County FA about it."

Sunday League secretary Tony Walker said: "It is sad to see Itis Itis pull out of the league, players had said they would turn up but they let Aaron down so the club have folded. Apathy among players is a big problem at the moment in local football.

"I can relate to this problem as there are 67 players signed on for my club Barrowcliff but only 17 want to play and these lads are having to fulfil the fixtures of both sides."

On a more positive note Walker did confirm that several new sides had already shown interest in joining the league next season.