Work has begun to safeguard properties, a sewer and footpaths after part of a sea wall dramatically collapsed in Staithes.
It happened as contractors Transcore working on behalf of the borough council were carrying out £140,000 of coastal defence maintenance improvements.
A 10 metre stretch of retaining wall collapsed on Friday May 10 which the council said happened before the firm had begun work.
This week, the council started to build a temporary retaining wall where the damaged had occurred, which is expected to be compelted during next week.
However, one home owner, Peter Morgan, who has had a home in Staithes for 16 years, disputes the council’s version of events and said he may have to take legal advice on what has happened.
His outbuilding, formally a smokehouse for kippers with a long history, was destroyed in the collapse.
He said: “My fear is that the council will somehow assert that they were not responsible for the collapse and it is the handful of residents whose properties the wall abuts onto who are responsible for the reconstruction, which would be financially crippling.”
A survey of the area has been carried out and monitoring points have been set up on the properties and other retaining walls in the immediate surrounding area in order to monitor the situation.
Chris Bourne, Scarborough Borough Council’s projects manager, said they maintain the accuracy of the comments about the wall made last week.
“We are progressing well with the work to install the temporary wall and at the time of going to print, the first of three levels of the struture have been constructed,” he said.
“In the meantime, we continue to keep property owners informed of our progress and we are on hand to answer any questions they may have.”