Woman injured in fuel leak

A PETROL station worker was taken to hospital this morning after getting fuel in her eyes while dealing with a faulty pump.

Police, the fire service and Trading Standards were called to the Spar Garage on Castle Road at Whitby at around 7.30am this morning.

It is believed the nozzle had come unattached from the flexible pipe and was leaking petrol.

Police say a woman in her 40s went to inspect the pump and ended up getting covered in petrol and it went in her eyes.

An ambulance was called and she was taken to Scarborough Hospital while police cordoned off the area and called out a petroleum officer from Trading Standards.

A fire spokesperson said: “It was isolated by the time we got there and it was just a matter of putting sand and shavings down to absorb the fuel.”

No-one at the garage was able to comment.