Whitby pub catches fire

Fire crews attended a blaze at a Whitby pub
Fire crews attended a blaze at a Whitby pub

Firefighters spent nearly two hours battling a blaze at The Golden Lion public house.

Fire crews from Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough attended the incident just before 7pm on Saturday.

The blaze started in the back bar of the Golden Lion Bank venue, and is thought to have been caused by an internal chimney collapse.

Crews departed at around 8.45pm after extinguishing the fire.

A statement on the pub’s Twitter account revealed that it is open for business as usual and that only minor damage was sustained.