TWO of the candidates who put themselves up for election in the Stakesby ward have withdrawn.
Free Whitby followers Richard Ineson and Nigel Ward were two of the five candidates set to battle it out at the ballot box.
But this week, they both pulled out of the by-election, which will be held on Thursday 16 February.
In separate letters to Jim Dillon, the chief executive of Scarborough Borough Council, both men said they wanted to avoid the costs holding an election would incur.
Mr Ineson, of Church Street, implied his decision had been influenced by criticism surrounding the cost of the election amid fears it was depriving children of play equipment, or elderly people of facilities.
Mr Ward, of New Way Ghaut, added he understood a vacancy may be coming up in the Abbey ward where he lives so he would wait for that. He also said there was another candidate in the running whose political experience and knowledge “widely exceeds my own” and so he didn’t want to split the vote.
The remaining three candidates are now former town councillor Pete Budd of Sandside, Simon Parkes of Prospect Hill, who is a former labour councillor for the London borough of Hackney and Noreen Wilson of Rose Avenue.
The vacancies arose when, at the May 2011 elections, there were only two nominations for the four seats available on the Stakesby ward.
They were filled by the now Mayor of Whitby Coun John Freeman and the outgoing mayor, Terry Jennison, both of whom were elected without contest.
It was agreed with Scarborough Borough Council that the remaining two seats should be filled by co-option.
However, attempts to co-opt candidates at a controversial extraordinary meeting of Whitby Town Council called in June last year had to be abandoned when Mr Ineson and Helga Marrs withdrew their applications while the meeting was taking place.
The town council and a petition of 13 electors requested an election be called to try to fill the vacancies which was agreed by SBC in November.