Pigeons killed and house damaged in blaze

The debris after the fire at Fylingthorpe
The debris after the fire at Fylingthorpe

Seven fantail pigeons were killed and a house in danger after an early morning fire in Fylingthorpe yesterday.

A passing police officer noticed the fire at a property on Thorpe Lane just after 7.15am and alerted the owner and fire brigade.

Two garden sheds, one housing the birds and the other used as storage as well as a greenhouse were totally destroyed by the fire, said to be caused by an electrical fault.

Fire crews from Scarborough, Lythe and Robin Hood’s Bay attended. A spokesperson said heat had radiated from the fire damaging the gable end but gas and electric supplies had to be isolated and engineers called out.