A PENSIONER suffered burns and smoke inhalation when he tried to tackle a Whitby house fire.
He was taken to hospital for treatment following his brave efforts to fight the blaze at the semi-detached house in Rose Avenue while he was waiting for the fire brigade who were just minutes away.
An 82-year-old woman was given oxygen at the scene on Saturday as she too had breathed in smoke from the fire which broke out in the master bedroom.
Fire crews from Whitby and Lythe were called out by a neighbour just before 10pm.
The entire bedroom was smoke logged and the upstairs of the house was smoke damaged while four square metres of the bedroom was totally damaged by fire.
There were no smoke alarms fitted at the house and fire crews will revisit later this week to fit some.
A spokesperson for the fire service said: “He left and re-entered against advice to try to fight the fire himself before the fire brigade got there.”