Delays in processing background checks on Scarborough taxi drivers means a handful of them are still unable to get behind the wheel of their cab, months after they were submitted.
In total, eight drivers are still unable to take their taxis out as they await the results of compulsory criminal record checks as part of their applications.
But while temporary licences were granted to many drivers, due to the lateness of their application, others have, for the moment at least, been forced to put the brakes on their careers.
In a report that went before full council on Monday, Cllr Bill Chatt said: “I mentioned certain issues around the current round of Taxi and Private Hire driver licensing.
“As public safety is paramount each application is subject to a criminal records check; the delay in these being processed by other agencies had led to some drivers not receiving their licence before the existing one expired. I would like to update members that good progress has been made in licensing drivers, however there are still a handful still outstanding.”
Scarborough Council says that all eight were latecomers and as a result didn’t qualify for the self-declaration option.
As a result, all of them haven’t been permitted to drive and won’t be able to do so until their checks come back clear and the licences are issued.
The backlog has been caused due to changes in the Protection of Freedom Act earlier in the year, which has caused a national pile-up in the police processing what used to be known as CRB checks.
Drivers who applied before the self-declaration deadline on August 31 were handed a temporary licence, despite a possible criminal history that would ultimately take them off the road.