DCSIMG

Death boat was not fitted with carbon monoxide alarm

The scene at Whitby Fish Market where two men were found dead aboard a boat

w140312c

The scene at Whitby Fish Market where two men were found dead aboard a boat w140312c

 

A report has confirmed that two fishermen found dead on a boat in Whitby harbour died from carbon monoxide poisoning and that the vessel was not fitted with an alarm.

The bodies of two crewman were found on board the scalloping vessel, Eshcol, after they had lit the cooker in a bid to keep warm.

When they were not seen as expected on the morning of Wednesday January 15, crewmen from fishing vessels tied up close by forced open the wheelhouse door.

The gas grill was still lit, the wheelhouse next to the sleeping area was full of fumes and the two men were dead in their bunks.

The report, published today by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB), also confirmed that Eshcol was not fitted with a carbon monoxide alarm.

An inquest into the deaths of skipper Mark Arries (26), a dad of two, and crewman Edward Ide, who was 21, and had a four month old son has been opened and adjourned.

Both men were from Northumberland and resting in Whitby Harbour for the night.

North Yorkshire Police and maritime authorities are conducting further investigations.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page