Police inquiry onto sex attack on-going

POLICE say they are still trying to establish the full circumstances surrounding a serious sexual assault investigation in Whitby.

Around 50 detectives have been involved in the hunt for a sex attacker after an incident which took place in Mackridges Yard, off Loggerheads Yard, last Wednesday night.

No arrests have been made in connection with the incident and the officer leading the investigation has moved to reassure the community of Whitby that North Yorkshire Police is conducting a very “thorough” inquiry.

Detective Chief Inspector Keith Ruff said: “This has naturally been a very traumatic time for the girl and we are doing everything we can to give her the necessary care and support.

“The people of Whitby have provided a great deal of information and assistance to the investigation, to which I am very grateful.

“I realise this incident has caused a lot of concern and I want to reassure residents and visitors to the town that North Yorkshire Police is conducting a very thorough inquiry into this matter.”

Yesterday, a police spokesperson told the Whitby Gazette that specially trained police officers are continuing to support the schoolgirl while the sex attack investigation in the town remains on-going.

The girl told officers that she was seriously sexually assaulted by an unknown man in an alleyway between New Quay Road and Baxtergate.

It happened at some time between 8.30pm and 9pm on Wednesday 12 September.

A team of detectives is working to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident. Officers are still appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to contact them on 101 or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Last week, officers carried out forensic searches and house to house enquiries while parts of Baxtergate and New Quay Road were cordoned off.

A mobile police office was set up opposite the scene the following day but left this week.