Clarkson police action dropped

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson

North Yorkshire Police will not be bringing any charges against disgraced Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson following an incident in the county earlier this year.

An enquiry was launched after the Top Gear presenter was involved in an incident - described as a “fracas” with BBC producer Oisin Tymon - at the Simonstone Hall hotel in Hawes.

Clarkson, 54, was told at the end of March that the BBC would not renew his contract after Mr Tymon had his lip split in a 30-second long assault on March 4 and had to take himself to hospital with his injuries. He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse.

North Yorkshire Police began an investigation into the incident, and spoke to a number of witnesses but announced this morning (Tuesday) no further action would be taken.

A spokesman said today: “Last week, the person at the centre of the incident, Mr Tymon, said that he did not wish the police to take action on his behalf.

“However, at that point we still needed to speak to some members of the public who were present at the time of the incident, who had been affected by the event, and whose views also needed to be considered. Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action.”